Monday, September 30, 2013

Spotlight - Alaina Tosatti

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I joined the Athletes to End Alzheimer's team this year in honor of my Grandfather who has dementia. My Grandfather has always been very supportive of me and I am glad to have the chance to support him by raising money for Alzheimer's research and care.  

My family and I visited my Grandfather earlier this summer in the assisted living home where he lives in Maine. We played blackjack, with my Dad often playing my Grandfather's hand, looked at photographs, and ate chocolates (he has not lost his sweet tooth!). There were a few times when my Grandfather nudged the box of chocolates towards me and my family suggesting that we have one more. This made me smile because it reminded me of my childhood when my Grandfather loved nothing more than to spoil my sister, our cousins, and me with sweets. Every meal ended with dessert, there was an endless supply of ice cream in the freezer, and he often added a little extra sugar to our frosted flakes. Although much has changed since then, I cherish the moments like this one that remind me what a wonderful grandfather he has always been.  I am running this year to raise money for the Alzheimer's Association and am so happy to be doing it for someone so important to me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment