Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Spotlight - Tania Elisa Cornejo-Perez


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


My grandfather, Papa German, had Alzheimer's.  Though he lived to be 98, it was saddening to see him deteriorate so quickly once the disease started to affect him.  He used to take my brother and I to see beautiful places in our country, have lunch by the beach on a whim and buy us whatever we wanted.  He defended and protected me from the animals he raised on his farm.  He went from a strong, limber, and hardworking patriarch to a helpless shadow of a man who could do nothing for himself and could not remember our names, nor what he had for lunch, or what day it happened to be.  It broke my heart to see him cry for the loss of his wife, a memory he relived daily in the later stages of the disease.
 
My great-grandmother, Mama Marta, also was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  I had no idea until I visited her once in the summer of 2008.  She was laying down, unable to get around on her own any longer.  I went to say hello to her and she couldn't remember who I was.  I wanted to introduce her to my husband, but all I could do was fight my tears.  I stayed with her a while just talking to her, holding her hand, playing with her soft, curly, salt and pepper hair.  When I finally said goodbye and walked towards the door she said to me "I know who you are.  My Tanita."  It took all my strength to retain my composure and walk over to give her another kiss, what was to be the last one I'd ever give her.  She left this world just 3 months after that.  I remember her now not how I saw her on that last day, but as she always was, independent, no-nonsense, and one of the strongest women I have ever known.

As a nurse working on a Geriatrics unit in the first years of my career, I cared for many patients affected by Dementia and Alzheimer's.  My mother was a home health aid for over 25 years and my mother-in-law is a Certified Nursing Assistant.  As caregivers we have witnessed first-hand the devastation this disease causes not only for our clients, but for their families as well.  Together, my family and I will continue to raise awareness and fight to find a cure so that no one has to live with Alzheimer's.

My husband Julio's hard work and dedication to running inspired me to join him in running the NYC Marathon.  I always said if I ever did, there would be only one cause for me.  I hate running.  I seriously do, but having the opportunity to be a part of this team for this cause motivates me every time to lace up my sneakers, head out the door, and run to End Alzheimer's.

Help us fight to end Alzheimer's.  Please donate today: http://act.alz.org/goto/julioandtania-ingnyc

No comments:

Post a Comment