Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Spotlight - Lauren Holder

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My Grandmother Lucy had Alzheimer's for nearly 10 years before she died in 2011, the summer before I moved to NYC.  Her mother, my Grannie, also had Alzheimer's. My mom and her sisters are ever fearful that they will be the next generation affected, and we grandkids aren't far behind.
I sometimes feel as if I am living out the legacy my Grandmother began. Her first job out of college was teaching, as was mine.  Lucy's classroom was often over-crowded with children of migrant workers. My classroom was over-crowded with inner-city students.  She was a "church lady" who I think might have gone to seminary (as I am doing now) if the opportunity had been available to her in her time. She was one of the most open-minded and independent women I know. Lucy's strength continues to inspire me.
Currently, more than 5 million Americans have Alzheimer's and that number is expected to grow to as many as 16 million by 2050. Our future is at risk unless we can find a way to change the course of this disease.
When my Grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's she did not go down quietly. Ever the teacher, Lucy sent a letter about her condition to her friends and spoke to her community about Alzheimer's while she was lucid enough to do so. Now it's my turn to raise awareness and raise funds to honor her memory.  While I've already reached my first goal of raising $100 for every mile of the marathon I'll run on November 3rd, I'm still working to reach my second goal of breaking $5,000--at which point I'll dye my hair purple.  My grandma always had a white stripe in her hair, and I thought it was wild.  I'm pretty sure she'd dig her granddaughter's wild purple flair.

This will be my second marathon, but my first time running it in NYC.  I can't wait to make a Big Difference in the Big Apple for my big hero--this one's for Lucy!

No comments:

Post a Comment