Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Spotlight - Matt Baier

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I can remember the first organized race I ever participated in was a 2 mile fun run when I was about 5 years old.  Those two miles seemed to go on forever.  Each step I took my mother was right there by my side running with me - that was until I finally saw the finish line and began sprinting to her surprise.  I guess it is only fitting that I will be running the New York City Marathon in honor of my mother, Hattie.

My mom has been battling dementia for over ten years now.  We have been fortunate that for the majority of time the disease has had a slow progression.  What started out as minor forgetfulness has over the past three years progressed to much more noticeable memory and cognitive deterioration. Although this dreaded disease is robbing my family of a wife, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend it has not been able to take away her love of life.  While my mom might struggle to recall the name of an everyday object around the house, she is the first person to greet someone (whether she knows them or not) with a warm smile, a heartfelt hello, and even a pat on the back.

The hardest part about watching my mother battle dementia has been the role reversal that has occurred. All of the sudden I have become the parent and she has become the child.  When I take my mother to the grocery store or a doctor’s appointment I am the one who has to make sure that her teeth are brushed, her hair is combed, and her shoes are tied. No longer do I have a mom who can help pick me up if I’m having a bad day and neither can she celebrate my successes. For some reason this has been more difficult than watching her forget who some of her children are.

As I prepare for the marathon there have been days that I was excited to wake up lace up my running shoes and hit the road and there have been days where I would rather do just about anything other than run. The training hasn’t always been easy but the one thing that has kept me going throughout has been the knowledge that by completing the marathon I will be helping to fight this terrible disease.  I know I will feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment completing my first marathon, but I know I will feel even more proud of the money I am raising and the awareness I am bringing to not only my mom’s fight but the fight that millions of people battle each day.

I know once again my mother will be by my side each step I take until I reach the finish line, just like she was when I was five.


1 comment: