Monday, September 23, 2013

Spotlight - Laura Charecky

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I'm running my third NYC Marathon this fall in honor of my friend and running buddy, Rachael.  Rachael's mom passed away after long battle with ALZ.  Rachael is a loving friend, mother and most of all daughter.  Watching Rachael care for her mother during the final stages of this terrible disease has inspired me to be a better friend, mother and daughter.  I run for Rachael, I run for her mom and I run to stop this disease. 

I met Rachael on a training run in 2009.  That first run we chatted the whole time about being new moms.  Over the years we have continue to chat and I’m pretty sure we have covered just about every topic there is.  Some while running, some over a glass of wine, but always between laughs and maybe even a few tears.

As I struggle putting one foot in front of the other on a long run, I think of Rachael and her family’s struggle with Alzheimer’s.  I think about their strength to carry on after their incredible loss.  It is their strength that carries me through to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment