Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Spotlight - Sally Ryan

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

I have always known that I would run a marathon at some point in my life because I love running but I never realized that I would run with such an amazing team and for such an important cause. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to help end Alzheimer's and to raise awareness and support for those affected but the disease. In addition to helping all of those impacted by Alzheimer's, my main motivation for running the NYC Marathon with Athletes to End Alzheimer's is my grandmother, Sally. She is now 94 years old and has had Alzheimer's for about 5 years. I would love for everyone to get to know my grandmother and the type of person that she is by reading the letter I wrote to her below. I know there are so many other strong and loving women and men who have a similar story as my grandmother does so I hope that by sharing our "Sally Story" I can relate to others and remind others that there are many people out there who know what they are going through and who are willing to help! I am getting more and more excited every day for the marathon and although it may seem as if my grandmother is not aware that it is going on, I can feel that she is excited too.

Dear Nan,
I’m writing you this letter to remind you how incredible you are and how you have inspired me through out my life and will continue to forever.
This is Sally, one of your many Grandchildren, the one who is lucky enough to be named after you and your daughter, Junie. When I was born, I knew right away that I had to live up to an incredibly high standard and be full of life, literally... I was so eager and excited to get into the world as a Sally that it took me 15 minutes, and when I was here I think I tried to take in so much “life” that I could barely be picked up! So I rolled around, smiled, and clung to you and Pop Pop because no matter what anyone said, according to you both, I was the most beautiful girl in the world.
Growing up I began to understand what it really meant to take on your name and to be a part of the Ryan family that you and Pop Pop help build. You taught me to always love, to always support one another, to always cherish every moment with my loved ones, to always fight for what I believed in and to always be faithful. You taught me to be kind, to work hard, to be selfless, and to be respectful. Every time I was with you I watched you shine love and joy onto everyone in your presence with heartfelt compliments and smiles and only hoped that I could develop such a contagious gift like yours.
You are one of the smartest, strongest, most incredible women that I will ever know. I want to thank you for building me this wonderful life that I now lead with my unbelievably loving and inspiring parents (who are both following in your footsteps) and my fun-filled support system, Chris, Kevin and Megan. The large, extended family that you have helped grow, love, and learn has turned out to be a great one, the best one. You should be so proud of the amount of people that you have inspired and of the amount of beauty and strength that you have been able to bring out in those around you.
In honor of your strength and spirit, I have decided to run the New York City Marathon in your name, Sally Ann Conway Ryan. I am running for the charity, Athletes to End Alzheimer’s in order to eliminate the disease through the advancement of research; to provide care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
Every family deserves to keep their charming “Nans” and “Pop Pops” around physically and mentally as long as possible. Thankfully I can still come see your smile and although some may think the blinds have closed behind your beautiful blue eyes, I can only see brightness when I look into them and always will. My goal is to raise money in order to keep the light shining longer for all who are suffering, may suffer, or have suffered through Alzheimer’s. 
Thank you, Nan, for inspiring me to live my life with intention, curiosity, love, and joy. I hope this letter brings you happiness and excitement and reminds you that we are all still here, shining your light, and working hard to overcome challenges in your honor, which is something the Ryan family does every day.
Thank you for setting such a beautiful example always. I love you so very much. I know you will never forget that because we can feel our love in our hearts, there’s no need to think about it.
Love always and forever,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment