Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spotlight - Julio Perez

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


Growing up with my mother in another country, my siblings and I looked to my grandmother as our mom.  She took care of all four of us plus other cousins.  My grandmother, Mamá, like we called her, was a strong, independent woman. She always woke up early for breakfast and church and was the last one to go to sleep after the day was done. Knowing that she had suffered from Dementia in her later years came as a shock to me because I couldn't understand how a woman so strong could become so dependent on others.

I attribute what I know about Alzheimer's and it's effects to my wife Tania because of what her family went through with her grandfather and great grandmother. She introduced me to the Alzheimer's walk and together we have been raising funds and awareness by participating in  it every  year since.

I was very happy when I was chosen to join the team because now I can pass along my knowledge and educate myself more on what Alzheimer's is and how it can deteriorate those we love.

Running for me has now become more than a hobby, it is my way to stay fit, to discover the world and to share my experiences with those I love the most. I run with my head held high knowing that this crazy idea of mine has become a way to express my gratitude and honor the memory of those who have shaped us into who we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment