Monday, September 9, 2013

Spotlight - Paul LaCorte

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


My running has progressed pretty quickly over the last year, from a few miles here and there to a half-marathon in May and now the New York City Marathon in less than two months.  When I decided to run the marathon I wanted to run for a cause that had particular meaning to me; I found that in the Alzheimer's Association.

My grandfather, Frank Newell, suffered from Alzheimer's in the early to mid 1990's.  Unfortunately, most of the lasting memories I have of Grandpa are from when he was in the later stages of the disease.  One clear memory I have is an afternoon when we were sitting at the kitchen table together having lunch.  My mom had made Grandpa a grilled cheese and given him a glass of beer.  After having a few bites of the sandwich, rather than putting it back onto his plate, he put it into the glass of beer.  As a ten year old I found this funny, but as incidents like this became more and more common I began to realize something was really wrong.  As Grandpa's condition worsened my mom, aunt and uncle were faced with the stress of finding proper care as they watched their father become a shell of his former self.  Alzheimer's impacts many people in many different ways.  From my point of view, it deprived me of the chance to get to know the incredible person that many others knew--the loving husband, caring father and great friend.

I have met a lot of great people on the team over the last few months.  Most of their experiences with Alzheimer's are much more recent than mine.  Not only will I be running 26.2 miles in memory of my Grandpa; I will also be running for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment