Thursday, September 26, 2013

Spotlight - Maria L. Jones

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I was born in 1975, in the Dominican Republic, about five years after my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 65.  She lived to age 94.  We missed her before she was gone.  (Picture attached of my grandmother and me when I was about six months).

There were 29 long years of learning... to accept, to adapt, to cope, to ask for help, to love, to tolerate, to be patient.  My mother is one of five sisters, each with their own families, who all took turns to help take care of my grandmother.  Three days a week my brothers and I went from school to grandma's house since my mother would already be there.  We did our homework and waited for the aunt that would sleep over that night or for my dad to pick us up since my mother would be the one sleeping over.  There were weddings, graduations, births and a number of family occassions where my grandmother sat in her wheelchair not recognizing that she was the pillar of such a wonderful family.  
 
In 1989, my family moved to New York due to my father's assignment with the U.S. Embassy, the move added another level of complication with my mother traveling back a few times each year to help, to make decisions on finances etc.  Her physical health started to deteriorate slowly until she passed away in 1999.
 
In 2006, my aunt was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  It was devastating for the entire family. In February 2013, a second aunt was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  It’s been yet another reminder for our family to stay strong and continue to fight this horrible disease.
 
I started running in 2008, I lost 52 pounds in four months, then I ran a half marathon.  I said to myself that if I ever thought I could run a marathon I would do it to raise funds for Alzheimer's. 

Last year I ran a half marathon only six weeks after delivering my second baby hoping to lose the baby weight.  A few weeks later, my husband got an email from R2R titled Need a Bib? and he forwarded the email to me but didn't think I would take it seriously (I had mentioned running a marathon before but I had just had a baby) - how could I take it seriously?  I have a demanding job at a hedge fund, two kids and have no time.  Crazy to think that I’m actually doing this again this year.
 
I am extremely excited that I can honor my grandmother and support my aunts and relatives by running for this cause and appreciate the fact that the NY chapter is allowing me to do this with the team.  I am very grateful that my mother is healthy and can enjoy the time with my two kids (Abigail & Maxwell) and would hope, that one day, other families can enjoy their family time free of Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment