Thursday, September 19, 2013

Spotlight - Elizabeth McCurrach

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I can't really remember a time before my grandmother ("Gigi") was a part of my daily life. She lived a few blocks away from my parents and was a constant presence throughout my childhood and that of my four brothers and sisters. My grandfather died when I was only 2 so instead of enjoying their golden years together, she kept herself busy with her friends and family, especially my mother, her only daughter.  

While we did some more adventurous vacations in my youth, our major family vacation became trips to a Canadian Shakespeare festival that Gigi, formerly the head of a college drama department, enjoyed (try explaining why you went to a Canadian Shakespeare festival instead of Disney World to fellow fifth graders- they will not get it). However, it was on these trips that we first started to really understand her decline into dementia. Her behavior became increasingly erratic and paranoid, and she no longer took any joy in our trips which used to be her favorite time of year. 

She became convinced that people wanted to steal from her and started hiding her credit cards and money throughout her house. Each day, she grew increasingly confused. For a long time, everyone was in denial, thinking that Gigi had simply grown more particular, but it became apparent that something serious was going on. My mother was her main caretaker, taking her out every day, cleaning her, and cleaning up after her so that Gigi could continue to live in her own house even though she could no longer care for herself. 

In the fall of 2003, my grandmother took a spill, breaking her ankle and forcing everyone to accept that Gigi had to receive full-time care in a 24 hour facility. Although my father had suggested a few years prior that Gigi put her assets in a trust should anything happen, she became convinced he was attempting to steal from her and due to her refusal, we got to watch as her entire life savings were used to pay for her nursing home. Even after this, astronomical bills still haunted my parents such that they got to undertake the equivalent of a sixth child's college education. 

During these years, my mother went every single day to see her and care for her. She fought for Gigi's right to dignity even though my grandmother had no idea she had been insulted by the indignity of Alzheimer's and dementia. 

My grandmother passed away on February 27, 2008. 

Her funeral was on a horribly cold and apocalyptic-seeming day and I think she would have enjoyed the drama of it had she been alive to see it. Although I don't believe my grandmother would have totally loved the idea of the marathon (the woman did not even own a pair of pants), I know she would have been inspired by the dedication and determination it takes. I run for her, but also for my mother (who also does not exactly love the idea of marathons- I think she thinks I'm nuts?). 

This illness is devastating to the afflicted, but the caretakers have to deal with this devastation well after the loved one has passed. I'm so proud to be a part of this team and to continue this fight for all of those with Alzheimer's and for all of their families. 

Good luck to everyone and see you on November 3rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment