Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Spotlight - Fred Fassberger

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

It's been a dark summer for me: Mom passed away from Alzheimer's on July 2nd at age 77 in my hometown of Roscoe, NY, a small village about 150 miles northwest of NYC. Mom lived in the house that my grandfather saw built for his family back in the late 1920's. It was special to have spent my kid years playing in the same woods, climbing the same trees, and playing in the same streams nearby that my Dad did some decades earlier. It was a simple, innocent time for us in the country and Mom was the center of it all. I'm not sure that I've completely processed that she's gone, truthfully. Though I haven't spent a great of time dwelling on her death there are times, like writing this Spotlight post, that have forced me to sit down to reflect upon the past few years. So, yes, I feel the pain surface once again when thinking about Mom but maybe writing about this will be of some help to others that are witnessing their loved ones struggle with this disease.

Mom began to lose her memory many years ago and I was concerned about it before anyone else in my family. Mom could be stubborn so she never once openly admitted to us about her memory loss and perhaps she never became fully aware that she was suffering with dementia. In late 2010 she increasingly viewed my Dad as a stranger in the house. I'd occasionally get these odd, distressed phone calls from her where she would say things like "there's an awful, mean man here" and 'why doesn't he just leave and go back to where he came from?" My dad was a quiet man but I'm certain that her growing coldness and odd behavior was devastating to him. My sister, Mary, had the grace to give up her life in New Mexico to move back to my parent's house so she could help Dad cope with what we all now knew was dementia (likely Alzheimer's). My Dad was elderly and, after suffering from a brief but serious illness, died in early 2011, leaving Mary to assume the role as Mom's full-time caretaker for the next 21 months. Mom was still able to do basic personal care for herself at the house but her abilities to accomplish common tasks slowly diminished. Her once vibrant interests waned during that time: she no longer read books, she lost interest in her oil paintings, and she was no longer active with her church and local garden club. Mom had long ago began an oil painting of her cherished home in Cooks Falls but she was unable to finish it. She continued to call me in Brooklyn telling me, "I need to go home now, Dad is going to wonder where I am" referring to her father and childhood home in Cooksfalls, NY. Her closest companion was her fluffy little dog, Zoe, who occupied my Mom's thoughts and time. Mom would do quirky things, such as roll up the dog food into little balls before feeding them to Zoe. As the months passed her beloved, elderly Zoe became frail and ill and passed away. It was a traumatic and sad experience for Mom who became increasingly embittered and angry toward Mary, who herself was completely stressed out enduring my mom's unpredictable wrath. We had all consulted with an elder care lawyer many months prior to this time and Mom had signed the proper documents to allow us to act as her legal guardian and make the hard choices that were coming. By early 2012 Mom's decline advanced to the point that my sisters, brother, and I agreed it was right time to move her to the local nursing home for proper, full time care. Mom had worked at this nursing home for over 15 years back in the 1970's to the early 1990's so it was a good thing that it was still a familiar place to her (old memories) and that lessened the stress of the transition. There were some women still on staff that had worked with mom those many years ago so she had some friends to watch after her and reminisce about the good old days. But, it wasn't a smooth time for Mom: her appetite began to significantly wane and her nutrition became a constant concern. During her 5th month at the nursing home Mom fell in one of the hallways and broke her leg. The stress and confusion became too much and her situation became dire: she seemed at some point to forgot how to eat and drink. Mom's living will stated that, under such circumstances, she did not want medical intervention to prolong her life, so there would be no feeding tube. Mom eventually lost consciousness and survived for 10 more days without food and water. It was an agonizing experience but Mom received full hospice care treatment which included regular doses of morphine to keep her sedated and pain free.


I'm hopeful that some medical advances will eventually lessen the impact of Alzheimer's but even if the disease proves to be too complex to fully cure I know that the Alzheimer's Association provides wonderful knowledge and support at no cost to all in need. I used the Alzheimer's Association's hotline a number of times in the early years of Mom's decline and the information & support I received was truly wonderful.

Looking back there have also been some bright experiences this summer for me: I've joined the ATEA team in the spirit of embracing life to the fullest and will proudly run the 2013 NYC Marathon in my mom's honor. I feel deeply honored to have the privilege to train with these incredible, compassionate souls on our team and hope that my presence will help out in some small way to make a difference.

To all those who are now witnessing loved ones struggle with this disease, I honor you and your commitment to be there for them when they need you most. Please understand, though, that it's OK to admit that the challenge of care taking has become too much for you and that it's OK for you the let go to allow others to take over. Never forget that your life and well-being are most important, so please take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment