Thursday, October 22, 2015

Spotlight - Elizabeth Breckenridge

On November 1, 2015 I will be running the New York City Marathon in honor of my grandmother, Elizabeth Schweizer, who passed away in March of this year from complications of Alzheimer's.  Grandma Lizzie received her Alzheimer's diagnosis about 3 years ago.  Grandma had the most beautiful blue eyes, made the best tuna salad, always let me have dessert (or two) and never had a shortage of red lipstick in her purse. 

 My Grandpa Bert, Lizzie's husband of 69 years, was also recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Together they had 3 children, 8 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren.  Their 70th wedding anniversary would have been this coming November 27th.

Losing my grandma was very hard and about a month after she passed away I started looking for things I could do to help me through the grieving process.  Exercise has always been a great stress reliever so I decided that applying to run the NYC Marathon with the Alzheimer's Association would not only help me grieve but also do something to help others who have been impacted by this disease.

Fast forward, here we are a little more than 10 days away from the race and I can truly say that this experience has been life changing.  The support from the Alzheimer's Association and team has been amazing----and a shout out to my friends, family and colleagues who have encouraged me and helped me  to reach and exceed my fundraising goal, I couldn't have done this without you.  
Team, we got this!  Can't wait to see everyone next week!

This is for Grandma Lizzie and Grandpa Bert!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment