Friday, October 2, 2015

Spotlight - Caitlyn Cardetti

Throughout high school and college, I worked as a nursing assistant in a nursing home where I took care of many residents with various ailments but the ones who stood out the most to me were those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Watching this disease was absolutely devastating - not only for the resident but also for their family. The hurt look in the daughter’s eyes when her mother was unable to recognize her. The family’s guilt that the nurse can soothe grandma when they, her family, had failed to do so. For five years, I helplessly watched this disease wreak its havoc on so many - I was ecstatic when I moved on to my position at a hospital where I was actually able to save people. Alzheimer’s and its inevitable demise were finally out of my life. That is until my late grandfather was diagnosed with the disease a few years ago. The sad truth is that Alzheimer’s is not going anywhere. In fact, as our aging population increases so will the prevalence of this disease. It cannot be avoided. So let’s fight it head on.
 
That’s why I’ve dedicated both my personal and professional life to the fight. I'm currently a research assistant at Columbia University working on a study looking at the effects of aerobic exercise on cognitive function and brain structure. Also I’m in the process for applying to neurobiology programs to pursue research more specifically targeted to AD itself.

I’m running this race in honor of my grandfather, Rodolfo Cardetti. And I’m doing my research with the hope that one day others will not have to witness or suffer from this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment