Friday, October 23, 2015

Spotlight - Amanda Munoz

Alzheimer's Disease has had a significant impact on my family, especially my dad.

My dad grew up in Manila, Philippines and is the youngest of six children. His mother and two of his brothers developed and eventually passed away from Alzheimer's Disease.

My Lola (grandma) was a sturdy woman with thick hair. As a child, I remember her long braid as a salt and pepper rope. At 22, My dad left the Philippines to attend graduate school in the U.S.; he didn't realize it at the time, but he would never live at home again. When his mom got sick, I think my dad felt guilty for being gone so long. She didn't know who he was for the last 10 years she was alive.

My Tito (uncle) Eddie was a lawyer and former General Manager of the Manila International Airport, which was useful as a frequent foreign visitor. I never waited in customs as a kid. He had a roaring life of the party voice (just like my dad) and political ambitions. In his mid-50s, Tito Eddie started developing symptoms for Alzheimer's Disease. He came to the U.S. and New York doctors confirmed his diagnosis. His remaining years were hard for his wife and adult children, two daughters and a son, who watched him shrink before their eyes.

Tito Ony (short for Tony) developed Alzheimer's Disease in his 70s. He loved cars, especially his tricked out vintage VW Bug. He was also a skillful dancer, having mastered the cha-cha, mambo and tango. Tito Only left behind a wife, son and two daughters.

I run in memory of my Lola, Tito Eddie, and Tito Ony. I run too for my dad, aunts, uncles and cousins for what they have been through.


And I run for the people I've met on this team and the loved ones they run for. The marathon will be a great day because there is such a positive force behind us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment