Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Spotlight: Toni Colotta

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

It is hard to believe that just four years ago I ran my first mile. I was going to turn 50 and I made a list. One of the things on my list was to run in a race.  Several years earlier I had seen the coverage of the NYC marathon on the news. I thought it looked like an amazing experience, but never dreamed that someday I would be here! My friend offered to train me for my first 5K. As always, I couldn’t wait to tell my sisters that I started running and would be running a whole 3 miles!


I grew up in Washington heights the second youngest of 7 children. My sister Marie is the second oldest. We are siblings, siblings with a generation gap, with an 18 year difference in age. We did not always agree, and we often argued about silly things, but the love we have for each other has always been strong. Marie loved to cook and loved caring for all of us. She made sure when we were little that Christmas and Easter and every other holiday  were times that we would cherish for the rest of our lives. She used her money to buy gifts baskets, toys, clothes for the younger ones. She always looked out for us. Always tried in her way to be the mother I lost when I was just 16 years old.  She took care of my brother Anthony (he is autistic) up until a few years ago. I remember her singing and dancing around the house. I remember Thanksgiving feasts that will never be duplicated.  When I had my two children she did the same for them. I always went to her house on Christmas morning and most Easter’s I would stay at her house the night before, because she always helped me make up the baskets for them.  She loved my children like they were her own.

My sister Marie was the one who said “You should run in a marathon”. I told her that was crazy and it would not ever happen. Two years later I ran my first marathon in Philly. Marie told me that she knew I could do it; she was bursting with pride and excitement for me. She was always happy for whatever we did. Always proud and excited for our success!  Shortly after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.   Now two years more and here I am training and getting ready to run this race in honor of my sister. We noticed all the usual signs, forgetful, losing things, confusion, she started cooking less and less and forgetting recipes she had done for so many years, but we never even thought of Alzheimer’s.  We did not know anyone with this disease and we had no idea what was going on. In just these past two short years, my sister Marie had to go to live in a nursing home. She needs 24 hour care. Marie has lost her ability to communicate. She is in a wheel chair. This disease is awful and affects the entire family. The Alzheimer’s Association helps so many families. Families like ours that did not know where to turn or what to expect.  I am happy and proud to be a part of this team. I could not think of a better cause.  
People always ask if she knows who we are. Yes, she knows us. She does not know my name or remember that I am her little sister, but when she sees me she is happy and warm as always.

My daughter and I went to visit Marie recently and it was one of those days when I could see in her eyes that she was more aware than usual. We talked about the delicious food she used to cook. When I asked her what she liked to cook, she smiled and said one word...”pasta”. I showed her a picture of me with the team and my daughter Annie said to her. My mom is doing the Marathon; she is doing it in your honor. Marie took the kindle, kissed the picture and held it to her cheek. She had a tear running down her face. She looked at me and said one word...”you”. I asked her if she was proud of me and she shook her head yes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment