Thursday, October 3, 2013

Spotlight - Meghan McClorey


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)
I am running the 2013 NYC Marathon in memory of my Gramma. It will be just over a year since she passed away after suffering from Alzheimer's for nearly 20 years. I am running so that the future grandkids can spend those 20 years making memories with their grandparents. I am running so the future grandfathers and mothers can live the last years of their lives loving one another and relaxing in their retirement. And, I am running so that each child can enjoy their own mom and dad for as long as possible. I am running for the memory.
It is ironic my situation. I was beginning my life, my first memories were being formed, as my grandmother was being robbed of memories she had made. I remember very little from when my grandmother was well, before the effects of Alzheimer’s were noticed. I remember her kind words, soft skin, perfectly coifed hair, big glass along with her big smile, and her never ending love for my grandfather, her children, and her grandchildren. My most vivid memory is being about 5, sitting in the kids chair at the table with my grandmother. I was being spoiled eating my grandfather’s freshly baked homemade bread smothered with his jam that was made from berries in his garden. Their dog at the time was a golden retriever named Molly. Molly was the most gentle, well-behaved dog. She was also very smart. She knew my grandmother’s weakness for her and letting her have a nibble of the best breakfast in the world. She would slowly creep in between our chairs and nudge her nose up against my grandmother’s leg. My grandmother would look at me and say, “this is our secret, don’t tell your grandfather.” She would then subtly reach down and give her a piece of toast and jam. Without doubt my grandfather also knew, but rarely said a word.
This makes me smile every time I think of it because in 20 seconds it captures so much about her loving and giving personality. Slowly as I got older, her memory started to diminish. Her ability to take care of herself slowly slipped away from her grasp. She suffered from Alzheimer's for 20 years. 20 long years when she was physically as healthy as a horse, except for her mind. The disease robbed her healthy body of 20 long years that could've been spent with the love of her life, my grandfather down the Cape. 20 long years she could've spent watching her own children become mothers, and even grandmothers. To me, 20 years is almost three quarters of my life. To me it is am eternity. What I do believe is she felt the love that surrounded her till the end by her sounds of satisfaction while having her hands rubbed or hair brushed. My gramma was an amazing lady and I hope to be as patient and kind as she was some day. She would do anything for anyone, I run to do just a little bit in return for her, to honor her memory and to do as she would, help others who suffer from Alzheimer's disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment