Thursday, October 24, 2013

Spotlight: Bonnie Beukema



Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


My Momma is the coolest lady I know. She makes incredible pumpkin bread and chicken soup, among other things. She demands a bargain and can tell you how much all of her clothes costs down to the penny. If I say something like "Hey Mom, nice sweater." She'll reply, "Oh, thanks. I got it at Eddie Bauer 75% off the sale price and it was only $6.97. Now ask me about these jeans." Amazing. She loves to put every item for me - from a recipe to a bobby pin to keys - in a little zip-lock bag. I'm not sure why, but everything was always delivered in a zip-lock bag. She would tell me that it's safer this way. She is also the biggest fan I'll ever have in my life. No matter the challenge, she was always there to support me and sacrifice whatever she could to prop me up, encourage me and push me to be the best that I could be. Our connection is so strong and I wouldn't be me without her.

She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last January. We all knew she had it by then - she refused to go to the doctor for about two years - but it was still a horrible shock. She's just so young and it's hard to comprehend still. In all honesty, the hardest part so far is grieving for a future that feels impossible now. For example, I always took it for granted that my Mom would help me raise my kids. This is the kind of thing that makes Alzheimer's so cruel. Of course, my Mom is a fighter.  If I told her that I was worried about her not being around to help me be a good parent she'd probably say two things. First, she'll never give up and will fight this thing until the very, very end. Second, I need to hurry up and have kids already (she has been saying this for years).

So, that's why I'm running - to honor my Momma, the greatest fighter I know. So much more can be done to prevent this horrible disease and I want to be part of that change. I'll be running two days before her 68th birthday through her hometown. With each mile, I'll think about her there by my side encouraging me, pushing me to do it and saying things like "That's why they call it work and not play - now get to work!" with a big smile and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment