Friday, October 18, 2013

Spotlight: Dalila Simpson



Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


"How's the weather in dc??"... Those are the last words my grandma said to me, before Alzheimer's took over her mind and body. We were all in Houston for Christmas and it was at this time we knew it was time to put my grandmother in a 24hour care nursing home. Just about every 5 to 10 minutes during my Christmas vacation, my grandma asked me how the weather was in dc; even though I had lived in NYC for the last 2 years. Each time, however, I did answer, hoping it would be the last time she'd ask me, but it never was. After that Christmas vacation, I did not see my grandmother for a year and by the time I saw her again, the Alzheimer's disease had taken over her mind. She didnt speak much and when she did, she would only mention her deceased brothers and sisters. At times she thought her daughter was her sister, and her son (my father) was her deceased brother.. By 2010, She no longer spoke, was unable to feed or bathe herself, and did not recognize anyone, which was really the hardest hit for the entire family. It was sad for us to see and deep down I knew it had to be frustrating for her to endure.  It came to a point where she stopped chewing her food; chances are she forgot how to chew. I was fortunate enough to see my grandmother on her last birthday, which was her 90th. Our whole family was there because it was the same time as my grandfather's funeral. Even though she did not speak, she sat in her chair all day with a smile on her face, giggling and grinning the whole time. Deep down, I knew she was happy we were all there. Sadly, in February of 2013, Alzheimer's took my grandmother's life.And although we were all sad that she was gone, we were also happy that she was out of her misery and in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment