Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Spotlight: Heidi Abendroth

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday  for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


I was very blessed as a child to have wonderful man to mentor me, to help raise me and most of all to love me unconditionally. That man was my grandfather.  I lost my brother when i was 7 and my grandfather was there, in fact he was always there when i needed him most, no questions asked always being my biggest cheerleader. I always thought my grandfather would be here forever as there was never a time when he wasn't but about 4 years ago that all started to change. My grandfather started to forget things, it started small, but as it always does the dementia started to progress. He had to stop driving, managing his bank account but the one thing i could still count on was he was still able to recognize me.  My grandmother had to put him in a nursing home for respite care while she had surgery. He never left. I would visit when i would come home from new york but it was so hard each time, wondering when the time would come when he would no longer recognize me. He developed pneumonia, but i made it home in time to spend his final days with him as I was determined to be with him until the end just like he had always been there for me.  Dementia may have taken him from me but it will never take away all the memories we shared.  I made a promise to myself that if i was ever going to run a marathon it would be in NYC and in memory of him using my legs to help raise money so there will be a time when there is no longer dementia or Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment