Friday, August 31, 2012

Spotlight: Trish Sullivan

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 

My name is Trish Sullivan and my story is my mother’s story. My mother grew up on a farm in Northwestern New York and was always a very strong, capable woman.  She joined the Navy after high school graduation to start a new adventure and chapter in her life.  My father just happened to be a marine stationed on the same base as her and eventually convinced her to go out with him.  After what could only be called a whirlwind romance of 6 months they were married on base and looked forward to civilian life together.  Within a few years my brother and sister were born and I followed after just over a 5 year hiatus.  It is good being the baby of the family.  Like many marriages it had its ups and downs over the years, but they managed to make it last for 38 years until my father passed away suddenly of a heart attack.  Mom took it (as did we all) very hard and she seemed to dim after it happened.  Over a few years she seemed to bounce back, but never fully returned to the woman I remembered.  I now wonder if this is when this horrible disease was starting to rear its ugly head.

During a visit to Houston she was here to see me run my very first marathon - The 2001 Houston marathon.  Later that year she decided to move near me in Houston, so I could keep an eye on her and help around the house when needed.   Things seemed to going along just fine until late 2008.  I noticed she was getting distracted and repeating a few things over when I would come to visit.  As luck would have it in early 2009 I had some changes in my personal and work life that made me stop and take a better look at mom’s behavior.  A failing thyroid diagnosis and the implantation of medicine seemed to do wonders for her for several months, but something still wasn’t quite right.  It was time to go see the neurologist and see if my worst fears were coming true.  Her mother had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and the legacy would continue with my mother.   

One thing should be noted about my mom.  She is 5’8” and built with a very thin frame.  (Something that seems to have eluded me and my siblings) This is a great combination health-wise until you see all the side effect notes on medicines about increased issues with individuals weighing less than 115/110 pounds.  With so few drugs currently on the market she is unable to take any medicine to slow the progression because of this and can only take Exelon a cognitive enhancer.  It helps, but I can slowly see her fading away before my eyes and I see the light in her eyes get a little dimmer every few months.  It is hard switching from the role of being the baby of the family to more of a parental role for my mom.  One bright spot is her favorite canine companion, Sam.  He keeps an eye on her, makes her take breaks when working in the yard and made their walks shorter and shorter to make sure they made it home as she became more confused.    

I have been a runner off and on since 1999.  Mom has always followed my races around the US and the crazy costume one in France.  Running helps me deal with the daily stresses and my anger at this disease.  I run this race for her this year and for all the other daughters that are losing their mothers to this horrible disease.  For right now I know she remembers I run marathons, but too soon in the future she won’t and there is nothing I can do to stop that from happening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment