Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Spotlight: Jody Ternus

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


From age five I grew up in Michigan with my maternal grandfather, John Koval, and I have some of the best memories of my childhood with him.  Memories of him taking my brother and I fishing, swimming, eating giant bowls of ice cream, him pulling me around in a wagon, taking me to soccer practice, I could go on for a while...  After finishing college and then moving out of state in 2004, visits home to Detroit became less frequent, but I could always count on a huge hug from Grandpa when I came through the door.  The time between these visits home however, made it clear that something was progressively going wrong with him.

Several years ago I received the horrible, but not surprising news that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  It progressed slowly at first, however the past couple years have gotten very rough.  It's heartbreaking to watch not only my Grandpa struggle, but the rest of my family suffer through the pain of watching him drift away.  Though it is obvious that he's well into the later stages of the disease, not remembering to eat, unable to remember names, he somehow still remembers me, and I fear the day he doesn't.  Even though he won't understand, I am so happy to be able to tell my Grandpa that I'm running for him, because I love him and miss him so much.  I'm also running for my Mom and my Grandma, who are true heroes in my eyes, taking care of my Grandpa every day with amazing patience. 
 
My fraternal grandmother, Patricia Ternus, was also diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago.  Unfortunately I did not have the priviledge of having her in my life as much, but I knew her to be a beautiful, strong, successful woman.  After she was placed in an assisted living facility I made a trip to visit her, leaving heartbroken from what this horrible disease did to such an intelligent woman, and saddened by the fact that I didn't get to know her as well as I wish I had.

Though dealing with the effects of Alzhiemer's disease on my family has become a part of my life, the education and support I've gained from the Alzheimer's Association has been such a blessing.  Being involved in the fight against the disease is so important to me. 

I have been a pretty regular runner for the past 10 years, completing my first half marathon in 2009 in Nashville, TN.  Since then it's been a goal of mine to run a marathon; entering the NYC Marathon lottery the past two years with unsuccessful results.  And then this year I decided to apply to join the Run 2 Remember Team.  I could not be happier that I didn't win a spot through the lottery!  This experience means so much more to me because I'm doing it for a cause that is so dear to my heart.  It means so much for me to be able to run on this team, and raise money and awareness towards fighting Alzheimer's!   

I am honored to be on this team, and I truly cannot wait for November!

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment