Friday, August 17, 2012

Spotlight: Liz Jonckheer

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


Laying on the front lawn of our house in Nashville, TN my father asked me (I was 4 years old at the time) "Lily, do you want to move to California?" Silence, as I contemplated the clouds in the sky, "Nana and Poppy live there," he continued. "Yes Papa, I want to move to California!" I said with great enthusiasm and a slight southern twang.  Soon thereafter my parents packed up the farm and the kids and we headed West.

I am so thankful we did because that meant my siblings and I grew up with Nana and Poppy.  They lived 5 minutes from our house and we had a family dinner once a week.  Nana and Poppy hosted famous Christmas parties and the Easter spread was something out of Gourmet Magazine.  They took us on trips to San Francisco's China Town for Dim Sum and Bodega Bay for oysters.  Poppy passed in 2000 and a few years later Nana began showing signs of Dementia.  She passed away last September, in her sleep, in my sister's arms from complications of Dementia.  Although I didn't get to say a final goodbye, I am thankful that I was able to be with my family for the celebration of her life in Northern California.  Upon returning to Brooklyn, I was incredibly touched to find a note from my beloved Team R2R teammates.

My experience running the New York City Marathon as a member of Team R2R for the past three years has meant so much more than training and completing the best marathon in the world (according to Coach B!).  The team camaraderie and endless support, love and encouragement that I have received from the coaches, Alzheimer's Association staff and fellow teammates has transformed me into a runner and helped me cope with the more recent loss of Nana.  In short, I can't imagine not running the NYC Marathon with Team R2R.  Whenever I begin to get miss Nana (typically when I'm not on a run, or haven't gone for a run in a few days) I think about something my best friend recently said to me, "You don't have to be sad, because she will always be with you! Nana is part of you Lizzie!!!"  This incredibly true statement keeps me running and inspires me to continue advocating for the Alzheimer's Association as a proud member of Team Run To Remember.

1 comment:

  1. Your Nana would be so happy to know that you are continuing to run in her honor. She is and was so lucky to have you as a loving and supportive grand daughter. What a great cause you are running for and what sounds like an amazing team. Wow marathon #4! You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete