Wednesday, October 5, 2011

SPOTLIGHT:Barbara Cusumano

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

As a nine-year-old in Sicily, my father started working full time to support his family throughout his own father's illness. As a young adult, he wanted nothing more than to come to the United States to live the American Dream he had heard so much about. When he finally arrived in New York at age 22 with 77 dollars in his pocket, he began to work two jobs at night and went to school during the day to learn to speak English, with the dream of one day opening his own restaurant. He soon realized his goal and his restaurant, Tutto Bene, thrived for over 30 years. Every time we visited Tutto Bene, we'd see my dad take the mic to sing his favorite song - "My Way," by Frank Sinatra. Since arriving here, the only day my father took off every year was Christmas day. He always told my brother, sister, and me that he would do whatever it took to put us through school and ensure that we had a better life than he did.

My dad, who is now 65, planned to retire this year once my sister graduated from high school. Unfortunately, his plan to do so and then take a trip back to Sicily to show us where he grew up was never realized. He was diagnosed with young-onset Alzheimer's six years ago at age 59. As a result of this disease, my dad, once a charismatic restaurateur, can't quite remember the lyrics to his favorite song.

Training for my first marathon is nothing compared to the sacrifices my dad has made for his family and those my mom is making daily to care for him. I'm running for the two people who told me I could do anything I set my mind to and who never doubted that I could achieve my goals. Running the NYC Marathon this year for Team Run to Remember is just one small way I can give something back to both of them and try to make sure that fewer families will be affected by this disease in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment