Friday, October 14, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Georgina Taylor

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I am looking forward to flying in from Sydney, Australia to run this year’s NYC Marathon. It all started last year when my close friend Fiona declared that she was going to run the New York Marathon in 2011 and I thought why not join her. We have both run 10k events and half marathons but as neither of us has run a marathon before we thought we needed to tick this one off!


New York is very close to my heart as I have very dear cousins who live there, one of whom has recently run four ultra marathons over 12 months to raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Association, New York City Chapter in honor of his grandmother, who is also my beautiful aunt.


As I have seen the devastating effects of this disease far too many times through friends’ parents and my family I thought I would like to contribute in some small way to such a worthy cause and at the same time achieve my goal. Since embarking on this journey almost everyone I speak to has been touched in some way by Alzheimer’s and I realize the importance of raising funds for research and care.

Fiona and I have been training together for the past few months and as we both have very busy lives some weeks have been more consistent than others! Unfortunately I have had problems with my feet (neuromas!!!), I have had two lots of cortisone shots but the pain still hits me (any suggestions??). We recently ran the Sydney Half Marathon which was on a beautiful spring day (a little too warm though) running under the Harbor Bridge and finishing at the Sydney Opera House, that in itself is quite breathtaking! We have built up our mileage and next Sunday we will have our longest run of 35k (21 miles) before we begin tapering.

I have been reading the emails and blogs with interest and I only wish that I was able to join the coaches and other runners on training runs. I am really looking forward to meeting many of you at the pre race dinner.

By the way I am the taller one in this shocking photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment