Wednesday, October 26, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Laura Zausmer

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


Memories are a funny thing; they take us back to a place and time, a feeling, a smell, a sensation, an emotion, or a loved one. I feel blessed by my memories, good and bad, for they make me the person that I am today. Imagining life without them brings an uncertainty and fear to the landscape of my mind. I’m running this marathon with you in hopes of raising enough money and awareness to help in the battle against Alzheimer’s disease.


My Grandmother, Evelyn Krueger, was a daughter, twin sister, friend, and mother. All of which were stripped away slowly as she succumbed to her battle with Alzheimer’s. My grandmother raised three children in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. My grandfather worked at Chrysler and grandma was a stay-at-home mom. My father, her second oldest, was interested in the performing arts. Grandma would take him to auditions and helped him rehearse for hours. When he was offered a spot on the Auntie Dee Show in NYC at the age of 16, she would go with my dad to New York on Thursdays where they would tape the show on Friday and then fly back to Michigan on Friday night. She stood behind her family and was a tough authoritarian. She was the strong roots of our family tree.


As a child I loved going to my grandparent’s house to play dress up and make believe with grandma in the basement of her home. She had a way of making childhood even more magical. When I graduated from college, I moved in with my grandma until I could manage on my own. She gave me the gift of time, support and lots of unconditional love.

We noticed that something was wrong when my grandmother started to wear clothes that seemed unkempt. My grandfather had passed away a few years previously and wasn’t around to catch the subtle clues that something was not quite right. She used to go walking in the Northland Mall every day for exercise. When she was found lost and confused outside of Macy’s early one morning, it was evident that she was not well. After being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, grandma moved in with my parents for three years at which time the agonizing progression of the disease took its toll. I watched as my parents took care of grandma and the huge burden it put on each of them emotionally and physically.

My grandmother passed away ten years ago after her battle with Alzheimer’s. We were left with a hole in our hearts and in our family.

I run today to raise awareness and the funds needed to search for a cure to end this horrible disease. The statistics of an estimated 5.4 million people affected with Alzheimer’s is staggering.

I’m honored to be running with you and Team R2R! Your stories have touched my heart and fueled my fire to fight for a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment