Thursday, October 20, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Dr. Robert Hofbauer

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

It was the first Sunday in November and it was my first year living in New York. I had a cup of coffee in hand and I was leaning out of my window onto 1st Avenue watching the runners gracefully stride up the avenue. I was so enamored by their perseverance, determination, and the crowd support. At that moment I knew it was something that I wanted to do. Finding out this year that the Alzheimer’s Association was a participating charity I could not think of a better way to raise money for a wonderful charity while pushing my physical limits.

I decided to support the Alzheimer’s Association because the simple answer is I HAVE LOST TRACK. I can no longer count the number of people I know who have been diagnosed and succumbed to dementia on one hand - they include my great uncle, my cousin, my grandparent’s friends (including a husband and wife), my parents friends' parents, and friends’ grandparents. One in two individuals over the age of 85 has dementia. With life expectancy increasing and the rates of Alzheimer’s disease rising, this epidemic needs to be addressed. Being part of the Run to Remember Team, I hope to have an impact on and get the message out regarding this horrible disease.

This year I made the commitment to live in New York, become an American citizen, I also decided it was time to support a charity close to my heart, and push myself to take on the NYC Marathon. This year I am the one who will be cheered on, while still cheering for my Run2Remember teammates. This year, we will all be part of this New York experience while raising awareness of Alzheimer’s disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment