Monday, October 10, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Jennifer Hays

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My grandma began to show signs of dementia when I was in middle school, and by the time I entered high school she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. When I came home from for the summer after my sophomore year in college, my grandma’s conditioned worsened, and she had moved into the Alzheimer’s unit of an assisted living community minutes from my home. That summer she became one of my best friends. I loved to sit with her, laughing, joking, telling stories, exchanging advice, or even just holding hands. My family was very lucky in that unlike many others I saw in the Alzheimer’s unit, my grandma maintained a sweet, pleasant, almost child-like personality. Spending time with her was always the brightest part of my day.

My grandma’s room overlooked a running trail, and she loved to ask me if I ran on it. I often did, and I would tell her about the different people and animals I saw on the trail.

My grandma passed away in the Fall of 2008. I had just finished my first semester of law school, and her funeral was on the day of my first final exam. After much discussion, my parents and I decided that it would be best if I stayed at school and took my exam instead of going home for the funeral. Although we knew that her death was coming, and I had a chance to say goodbye when I was home for Thanksgiving, I still really regret the decision to stay at school instead of going home to be with my family and to really say goodbye.

I ran the Chicago Marathon last year, and during a tough stretch, I looked up to see a Sunrise assisted living facility, which was the same facility where my Grandma had lived. I took it as a sign that she was watching over me, and I imagined how happy and excited she would have been to hear about this big race. Remembering my Grandma pushed me through many hot, tough miles during that race, and I decided that I would run another marathon in memory of my Grandma, and as a way to honor her in that I didn't get way that I didn't get to at her funeral.

I have really enjoyed being a part of Team Run 2 Remember. Running a marathon, as we all know takes tons of time, energy, and hard work , and it really feels so great to be doing all of that in support of the Alzheimer’s Association and in memory of my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment