Saturday, October 1, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Taylor Agisim

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


Since infancy, I’ve been going over to my Grandparents house every week for Lamb Chop dinners. Their love, guidance and support has meant the world to me. About a year ago, I started to notice what I thought were slight lapses in focus when I’d speak to my Grandmother Blanche. I thought it was just her being interested in certain topics, like “it’s really time you find your own apartment” and “I have this lovely girl I’d like to introduce you to”. But as time passed, I realized her lack of focus, might be a bit more serious than just a nagging Jewish Grandmother.


A few months ago I came to a point where I began to accept that it was much more serious, and sadly, every time I see her now, I realize it’s only going to get worse. Like millions of other people’s grandparents, parents and other loved ones, my Grandma Blanche has Alzheimer’s Disease.


Unfortunately, my understanding of my Grandma Blanche’s symptoms wasn’t due to an explanation from a physician, rather from a previous introduction to the disease through my Grandma Vera, who also suffered from the disease. Back then, as a juvenile high school student, I would try and avoid thinking about the severity of my Grandmother’s condition. Now that I am an adult, I’ve come to realize that avoiding it won’t make it better, as this disease just keeps rearing its ugly head.


For me, what makes Alzheimer’s so tragic, is that not only is it incurable, but it is degenerative, worsening over time. It affects both the person who is diagnosed, as well as everyone around that person, as they watch idly as their loved one slip away. This disease can turn a person, who you may have shared countless hours of joy with, into a shell of who they once were, erasing any memories of your lives together.


On November 6th, 2011 I have dedicated to do something about it by running the NY marathon in an effort to raise funds to find a cure for this disease. I will run in support of both of my Grandmothers, as well as all the other grandparents, parents, sons and daughters who have felt the pain my family has due to Alzheimer’s. Having the experience completing long distance walks for charity (Caledonian Challenge – 54 miles over 24 hours), I am confident that the physical difficulties I face along the 26 miles, will pale in comparison to the challenges more than 26 million people are faced with on a daily basis.


Outside of running, I've taken over as executive chef of the Agisim family, preparing my own version of Grandma's famous Lamb Chops for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment