Monday, August 29, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: SARA KERSHBERG

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

About Four years ago my Mother passed away at the age of 50 from Early Onset Alzheimer’s. Since her passing the Alzheimer’s Association Junior Committee has truly filled a void in my heart and aided my passion to raise Alzheimer’s Awareness and use my terrible experiences to help others who are going through or have been through the life shattering effects Alzheimer disease can have on an individual and their families. At the age of 38 my Mom began showing signed of Alzheimer’s, a disease that her Father and Sister had both passed away from. She never wanted to get tested for the disease because I honestly think she did not want the results to have an effect on her life choices and to get in the way of the years she had left with her three daughters. She loved to live every day to the fullest, even through her sickest times she still loved to make us laugh (an attribute I hope I took with me).

Like all caregivers and families of people with Alzheimer’s I know how devastating it is to watch a person you love diminish before your eyes, especially a person who was once your rock, a person you thought would be around for your own children to look up too. The only advice I can give anyone who is going through a similar situation it to accept the person your loved one has become. You must come to terms with the fact they are never going to be the person they were, but you must love them for who they are in the present. Two marathons later I never thought I would be writing another spotlight.

I will not be running in this year’s marathon but you can catch me at the occasional Tuesday or Thursday night run, nagging at Coach Brian for making us do a ridiculous (yet helpful) drill in a heat wave. I will be on the side lines cheering all of you on as you guys are all my heroes! Thank you for making a stand and trying to fight and raise awareness of this terrible disease!!

To read Sara's first post 2 years ago, click here (Coaches sidebar - Sara is known as the MVP of the team, she had a hip injury two years ago which we had thought had sidelined her to miss the marathon, one month later, she was back in training and accomplished a goal she never dreamed of: Completing not just one marathon, but two in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment