Saturday, August 6, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Lori Hongach

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

This year I am dedicating my NYC marathon race to my sister’s in-laws. Over 5 years ago Donna, my sister’s mother-in-law, developed Alzheimer’s. Sadly, her progression of the disease has been extreme. The caring, thoughtful, independently strong woman who would love to sit around and laugh has left. The disease has taken over, and Donna's personality has been hijacked. Today, the simplest of tasks is a challenge for Donna. It’s heart-breaking to see and experience. Even more so to know that she has grandchildren who will never personally know her for the incredible person she was or have fond memories to dwell on as they grow older.

As much as I run for Donna, I am also running for her husband and devoted caretaker, Pug. Pug shows what it truly means to be a life partner, as he has dedicated his every moment to taking care of Donna. Pug epitomizes the true meaning of “in sickness and in health”. Pug’s unconditional love and never-ending patience make him a hero in my eyes.

As I sit here writing this, I already know that 2 additional family members have started to show signs of Alzheimer’s. I can only hope that progress is made for Alzheimer's research so families do not need to experience the pain of losing someone to this devastating disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment