Sunday, August 23, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Comanche Weaver

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

Eleanor Roosevelt wrote: “You must do things you think you cannot do.”

With this as my mantra, and as a member of the Alzheimer’s Association’s Team Run To Remember, I have committed to run the 2009 ING New York City Marathon on November 1st. I am running in honor of my mom, Manche, who is battling this heart-rending disease.

For those who have not had the privilege of personally knowing my Mom over the years, I proudly share with you the fact that those, whose lives have been touched by her, consider her to be a woman of gentle spirit, with a gracious smile for everyone. Today, my father, myself, family and friends, sit helplessly by watching this ruthless thief, called the Alzheimer’s disease, slowly and mercilessly steal her away from us. For my Dad, life has become a round-the-clock vigil; an act of stoic devotion to his wife of more than 50 years, ensuring that my Mom retains a sense of dignity, happiness and peace.

Running 26.2 miles is certainly a great accomplishment, but it pales in comparison to enduring this painful journey that many have called “the long goodbye”.

I remain overwhelmed and touched by the ongoing support I’m receiving from friends and loved ones. It is amazing to me how many people in my life have also been affected by this horrific disease. I am so thrilled to be a part of New York City Run To Remember Marathon Team. I take great pride and comfort through our collaborative efforts, we will raise not only funds, but awareness to one day eradicate Alzheimer’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment