Friday, August 21, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Lucia Domville

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Lucia Domville

I ran NYC marathon back in 2000 and found it to be one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. To be a true New Yorker, you need to be a runner and to really get to know New York and New Yorkers you need to be able to run a marathon, see the streets, the people, the fun, the care and the support. When I finished after all months of training, commitment and soared muscles, I said to myself that I would want to do another marathon some other time in my life. After a child and aging, I revisited the idea and applied for the NYC lottery twice but got rejected… In talking one day about marathon with my boss, Anne McBride, she told me story of how she and Lou Ellen had discussed getting marathon spots to run for the Alzheimer NYC Chapter Association.

Before I knew it, the Alzheimer’s Association NYC Chapter had landed 50 marathon spots and I was already involved to help the organization raise its visibility by hosting an opening bell at the NYSE. As a financial communications consultant, I had close relationships with the Exchange and was able to secure the opening bell on June 8th. That day we hosted a nice breakfast at the Board room and met many of the board members of the Alzheimer Association; it was a very exciting day for all and a good opportunity to be seen around the world. Next step was to commit myself to running again and I applied to NYC marathon.

Every day I get up, even when I don’t feel like it, either because I’m too tire or soared or rather be having a nice breakfast with the family, I remind myself, I am running to make a difference, even if it is just a small difference. Running has always given me the possibility of thinking, or coming up with new ideas for projects or solutions to problems. In the many days I have been running to train for this marathon, I have also asked myself why am I running, not only the marathon, but my connection to the Alzheimer Association, other than Anne McBride. Only a couple of days ago I was able to come up with an answer… in my family we also carry a different source of medical hardship. When we were growing up, we had an accident and my 14-year old sister was in comma for months and hospitalized for over a year. Her recovery was very slow, she, at 15, began being a baby and had to learn everything all over again, years went by and progress slowed down; the brain damage was so severe she has never been able to see or walk, it has been only her memory and the ability of having thoughts and ideas what has kept her going and alive all these 21 years, and hopefully all the support of the family. The family, the support, the love does make a difference, we all suffer and we learn. I am also running for her memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment