Friday, August 5, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Samuel Meldrum

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

I have to admit, that my family and I have been very lucky in that we haven't been adversely impacted by a major disease and most of my grandparents lived (or are living) long and fruitful lives. However, about 10 years before her death at age 88, my grandmother began to develop serious cognitive difficulties and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. For the next 10 years, she had difficulty remembering and recognizing family members and friends. It was a difficult and painful process to witness and most of the time she was just "out of it".

Unfortunately, my wife's grandmother is also suffering with the disease. In the past 3 or 4 years it has become evident in everyday events. Simple things like going out to dinner at a restaurant have become difficult. The nuances of everyday conversations are also difficult for her to grasp. Now, that Sarah & I are expecting our first child there was a realization in me that this is a serious potential health risk for our child. Research and development of a cure will take decades to develop so we need to start putting some resources together now. My hope is that our children and grandchildren will be able to live in an Alzheimer's free world.

Running has never been a natural activity for me. It wasn't something that I ever looked forward to doing. I began running before I got married in 2006. At the time it was a way to lose weight and relieve stress. After our wedding I tried to maintain the running endurance I had built. I found a 10K that is held on Thanksgiving which made me feel like I could then eat dinner guilt free. Over the past few years I have started to appreciate running and even begun to enjoy it. Running for the sake of running still won't get me out of bed in the morning, but having a goal to look forward to, a 5k, a 10k, a 15k or half marathon have been goals of mine and each time I sign up for a race I always want to work hard to do well. A full marathon seemed like the next BIG goal. For me, I think it is more of a mental accomplishment. It is obviously a very challenging physical goal too, the mental side of running 26.2 miles seems more daunting than the actual physical exertion. I now look forward to the day in and day out training; I now realize the marathon is a season, it isn't a day. It is the entire process of joining a team and running with friends and coaches. It is about pushing yourself for 4 or 5 or 6 months, not pushing yourself for 4 or 5 or 6 hours. The last 26.2 miles are really just the celebration of all the hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment