Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Eric Triplett

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

I never fully understood the impact that Alzheimer’s disease had on my grandmother and my family while it was happening. I was away at college during the two years the disease rapidly progressed and as a result I was sheltered from the daily hardships my parents, aunts and uncles went through as caretakers. Now, ten years later, I talk with my dad more about the whole experience and really get a sense of the toll the disease took on them. The coordination of daily visits to my grandmother’s house to check on her, the gradual realization that her state was deteriorating to the point where full-time assistance would be needed, the feeling that someone you love is slowly losing their identity – all of it was physically and emotionally taxing.

As I learned more and more about what happened, it became very important for me to find a way to show my appreciation to my family for all they have done and to remember my grandmother. When I heard about Team Run2Remember, I thought it would be the perfect fit to share my message while creating awareness for others, so they too could understand the challenges and struggles brought on by the disease.

Running a marathon has always been an accomplishment I someday wished to achieve.

The physical and mental challenge both seemed too big for me to overcome, but being part of a team and knowing that so many other people are going through the same experience has been a huge confidence-booster. With Team Run2Remember I am not only able to tackle one of my life’s goals, but I also have a way to tell my family that “I know, I understand and I want others to know as well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment