Thursday, August 4, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Maxine Squires

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


In November of 2010, I was in a big funk in my life. I felt like nothing was going right and I was beginning to wonder if, after just over 2
years in New York City, it was time for something or somewhere new. But then I Facebook-stalked the photos of an acquaintance from college who had just run the NYC Marathon. I noticed she had run with the Alzheimer’s Association and all of a sudden I realized that’s the organization I need to get involved in in order to get out of my funk.

My family had recently put my maternal grandmother in a nursing home because her Alzheimer’s disease was getting worse and my grandfather and parents couldn’t give her the care she needs (although they still visit her everyday to feed her and spend time with her). No one in my family every really spoke about the disease itself, just how sad it is that there is really nothing anyone can do about it. (My family also never really discussed the fact that my paternal grandmother, who passed away almost 10 years ago, had dementia). But I could see the toll it was taking on my family and I knew I had to do something to help them and future generations.

I got in touch with the acquaintance and she suggested I get involved in the Junior Committee with her. Lucky for me, the next meeting was a holiday happy hour! There, I met some amazing people, both new and old to the Committee, and we joked about running the marathon. However, I went home and gave it some solid thought for a few months until the application went up. I am not an athlete in any sense of the word—I’ve basically quit every sport I’ve ever tried my entire life—but there was something about doing it for a purpose that made me want to try and actually follow through.

I’m running the NYC Marathon to prove to myself that I can do it (with the help of my awesome coaches who won’t let me quit if I wanted to!) but more importantly to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s Disease and to raise money so that someday soon there will be a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment