Thursday, August 25, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Emily Cunningham

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My grandfather, Grandpop (or G-pop or G as we affectionately call him) is one of the most hardworking men I know. He’s held a job since he was a kid and moved his family for his work. So when he was no longer able to work because of his memory problems, a symptom of Alzheimer’s Disease for which he was later diagnosed, I realized the severe impact this illness would have on Grandpop, my grandma and my entire family. Since then I've seen my grandfather’s short term memory deteriorate to the point where we’ll have the same conversation three times during dinner or he’ll need to be reminded multiple times to be able to hold in his memory big life events, like my new job in New York. G-pop is aware of his memory problems, causing him anxiety (checking for his wallet or car keys various times when he goes out), embarrassment (holding back from speaking at dinner with friends so as to avoid repeating himself) and moments when he feels really down. This has also been a challenge for my grandma, who is still working full time and takes care of the house. She loses patience with him if he forgets to do something or asks the same question over and over. All of these problems cause a strain in our family as a whole and it has been very painful for me to be witness to this.

Where G’s mind has held strong is in his memory of the past. When I moved to New York in 2003 to go to college, my grandma started coming up to see the opera. G would come with and we would hang out in the city together while Nan, as we call her, was at the Met. These trips were my way of getting to know New York and my grandpa better. While viewing the Statue of Liberty, he told me about our Irish ancestors; on a visit to the Intrepid museum, he told me about his days flying across the U.S. in his own plane; and walking through Times Square he told me the first time he’d come to New York to attend the 1964 World’s Fair.

That’s why I’m running the New York City Marathon: to make something positive out of a disease that is so debilitating; to reflect on the treasured moments I’ve shared with Grandpop in all five boroughs as I run 26.2 miles; to bring my family together in a positive way to rally around G; and to draw attention to the reality of Alzheimer’s and how desperately we need a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment