Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Jessica Steinberg Albin

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My paternal grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in April 2001. However, my family began to notice that something was not quite right about a year earlier. My brother was graduating from college, and my grandmother accompanied my parents and me to Virginia for his graduation. She was not her usual social and jovial self. Instead, she was a bit withdrawn and became argumentative over the course of the weekend. It got to the point where she was physically unable to attend my brother’s graduation ceremony. This was the beginning of her battle with and gradual decline from Alzheimer’s.

My grandmother was a meticulous woman and concerned with her appearance. However, Alzheimer’s changed that – she slowly lost her ability to care for herself. One day when she came to my parents’ house for dinner, we noticed that her eyebrows were drawn on with red lipstick instead of eyebrow pencil. She was a thoughtful and attentive woman. But she frequently left the stove or gas range on in her apartment. She was a very social woman, constantly surrounding herself with family and friends; she was an artistic woman, constantly painting and teaching me to paint; and she was a very loving grandmother. Alzheimer’s changed everything. She stopped socializing and painting, and ultimately, she no longer recognized those she loved.

Before she passed away in July 2010, I attended the Walk to End Alzheimer’s (formerly Memory Walk) in 2008 and 2009. Each year I walked with my mother and now husband to help raise funds for the NYC Chapter. I learned about the Junior Committee (JC) at the Walks, and decided to join the JC to receive support from other young professionals affected by the disease and to help raise money and advocate for the cause. Since graduating college, I had aspirations of one day running a marathon, but I never acted on it. It was only after becoming a member of the JC that I seriously considered doing it. Although I was an athlete in high school and played club and intramural sports in college, I never considered myself a runner. The longest competitive race I ever ran was a 5K several years ago. But, after listening to past R2R runners’ experiences, and how much fun they had (even people just like me who weren’t “runners”), I decided this was my year to run.

I am running in memory of my Mom mom Bunny and for those who suffer from the disease as well as their caretakers. I hope that my accomplishment, completing my first marathon, will lead to two even greater accomplishments – increased awareness of Alzheimer’s and an end to the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment