Friday, July 29, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Susan Girling

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

When I ran the NYC marathon in 2007 & 2008 it was an amazing experience. The supportive spectators and fellow runners are so inspiring. But I found that I was envious of the other runners that were running for a cause that was important to them. At the time I wished there was a team that ran for Alzheimer’s since it was a disease that had affected my family. After some time off from running to become a mom, I was thrilled to learn that a team had been created to run for Alzheimer’s disease. I had to join.

My grandmother passed away from Alzheimer’s disease in May 2006. She was “Granny” to everyone she met, looking out for & supporting them all. Her pride and joy was her family and all her grandchildren. She was always positive, courageous, patient and kind- the one you turn to for advice. She inspired us all to seek out the best in each other and ourselves. When she was diagnosed with the disease in 2004 it was quite a blow to my family. The person who had taken care of others for so many years was now unable to care for herself, and this made her very sad and us too. It was difficult for my family to see her decline and not be able to do anything about it. Day by day a person with Alzheimer's loses a part of the person they had been. We all felt this loss as she declined. I will be thinking of my Granny through every mile and I know she will be cheering me on to the finish. I will also be running for my mother who selflessly cared for my granny each day as she suffered through the disease.

Training for the 2011 NYC marathon with the Run 2 Remember team has been excellent so far. I look forward to the continued support, encouragement & cheers we can give to each other in our fundraising efforts and our push to the finish line in Central Park. We can do great things together to the fight Alzheimer’s. Thank you and GO team!

No comments:

Post a Comment