Monday, July 25, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Steven John Gorss

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My connection with Alzheimer’s and running came somewhat by chance. In high school I was a three sport athlete who was always very active. When I got to college I found myself not really doing much. I was not good enough to play for my University and intramurals were poorly organized. So still wanting to be fit and active…I started to run. I went to school in NYC and have many wonderful memories running through the city. One summer specifically I worked at Bouchon Bakery in Columbus Circle. I worked the early morning s
hift and it allowed me to get long afternoon runs through Central Park. It was great! Since my running quest began early in my college career it has really taken off and since I have run in numerous races including two full marathons.


As you can probably understand, I have the marathon bug and was looking for ways do more. Since my running quest started, the NYC marathon has been a “bucket list” goal. I knew it would be difficult to get in without working with a charity and since I had run the Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach with Team in Training, I asked them for advice.

They were the ones who introduced me to the Alzheimer’s Association and their connection to the race. It was fate…

I can now accomplish a running goal of mine while helping my grandmother. My grandmother has been suffering from Alzheimer’s for over a decade now. It has been devastating for our family and each day gets more difficult. I am proud to be a member of the team and hope that my fundraising as well as awareness can help the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment