Monday, July 4, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Jeffrey LeBlanc

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


In 2007, my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Watching her degeneration was sad and frustrating, but she was a strong and amazing woman until her passing in January of this year.

When I was younger, I fondly remember my grandma taking me to McDonald's for playtime and burgers. It's funny, but sometimes it's the ordinary moments in life that are most memorable. She is sweet, loving and thoughtful and always looked out for me.

In my grandma's final years, my parents were able to spend quality time with her in Florida. She enjoyed getting her hair and nails done and my dad's walks with her around a local lake. I had a chance to visit her each time I went down to Florida, and it was always a joy. Her strength was an inspiration to me.

I am coaching and running this race in memory of my grandma and my wife's grandmother (who also suffered from Alzheimer's). It's time to put an end to this nasty disease once and for all. It's time to run to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment