Monday, July 18, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Michael Frank

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)


I hope you all had a great 4th of July! As many of you know, I started running a few years ago as a means of creating balance in my life, and hopefully living a healthier lifestyle. Once I became hooked on running, I decided that I wanted to do something more with my new-found passion. The answer was simple! I was going to use running to help raise money and awareness for the one thing I hate most in my life...Alzheimer's. As a result, I raised close to $8,000 last year, while participating in several runs. So...this year I've decided to turn it up a notch!


On November 6th I am running the 2011 NYC MARATHON, and will be a member of the Alzheimer's Run To Remember Team! And not only am I pushing myself to run 26.2 miles, but I am pushing all of you to help me hit my goal of $10,000! I know that I can reach both of these goals with your support.

Alzheimer's is a horrible, horrible disease. Many of you may know that my mother, who just celebrated her 78th birthday in April, and her 55th wedding anniversary in June has been suffering with this terrible
disease for at least the last 8+ years. In fact, over the last 10 months my mom has gone from living somewhat independently at home to living in an Alzheimer's facility where she receives 24/7 hospice care. She has broken both hips and her femur in the last 6 months. And worst of all, she has no idea who I am, and will never again enjoy all of the pleasures that comes from being a grandmother to 2 beautiful girls.

I realize there is nothing that can be done to help my mom, but I know that if I do something, my daughters and their children might not have to go through what I am now. Don't let this disease continue to wreak havoc on other families!

My goal is to build awareness, and hopefully assist in some small way towards finding a cure for Alzheimer's.

Thanks for reading, and thank you for your support.

I don't just run for my health, I run for my mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment