Saturday, July 23, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Farron McIntee

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

My connection to Alzheimer’s disease is personal and professional. I have spent the past 5 years completing a Ph.D. program in biomedical sciences; my thesis project is on Alzheimer’s disease. I am working to identify targets for treatment, prevention and markers for preclinical intervention. My research project has received grant support from the International Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association. My research perspective has instilled a sense of urgency; we must find effective measures for treatment and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s disease is a societal and public health crisis!

My maternal grandfather suffered from dementia for many years until he passed away in 2003. I have a granduncle that passed away from Alzheimer’s disease in 2007. I now have a grandaunt that currently has vascular dementia. Thus, I am extremely aware of how an Alzheimer’s disease diagnoses change the lives of entire families.

Running and completing the NYC Marathon has been a personal goal since 2006. Running with Team R2R as I am completing my Ph.D. program is truly a culminating experience. I am running in support of the NYC Alzheimer’s Association, with Team R2R, to honor all Alzheimer’s disease patients, their caregivers, and their friends and family members. I am dedicated to continuing to raise awareness for the disease, as well as generating support for advancement of Alzheimer’s (and related dementias) research.

1 comment:

  1. I am already impressed by your ability as a runner, now I'm even more impressed by your academic and philanthropic skills and ambition!

    ReplyDelete