Thursday, July 3, 2014

Spotlight - Megan Horowitz


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

made the decision to run my first marathon in honor of my grandmother, Bernice Szymanek, who passed away in 2011.  My grandmother was one of the most important influences in my life. Even while battling a daily struggle with Alzheimer's, she never forgot the importance of home and family. I am so thankful to have been able to witness her strength and feel the security of her love. She always expressed more concern for others than for herself and was very involved in Church fund-raising and neighborhood activities.
Aside from these amazing attributes, she was also one of the most hilarious women I have ever had the pleasure of being around and her ability to get into mischief only rivals my own.  

My grandmother was my biggest champion in every way and she never missed a chance to support my brother, cousins, and I. I am honored to raise money and awareness for a charity that my family feels so strongly about while running one more race for my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment