Sunday, July 6, 2014

Spotlight - Jessica Hughey

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

"As many of you may know, running is one of my favorite hobbies. After completing the 2013 Chicago Marathon, I decided that I wanted to do more than just race. I wanted to raise money for a cause that is important to me.

I joined the Athletes to End Alzheimer's team because the disease personally affects my family and me. My great grandmother was diagnosed in her mid-seventies and died when she was 82 years old. My grandmother was diagnosed at the young age of 65. She currently lives in a Alzheimer's special care unit at a nursing home in Michigan.

My grandmother was one of the most influential people in my life. She'd pick Ashley, my twin sister, and me up from school every day, cheer us on at all of our sporting events and take us on fun adventures like trips to the local flea market in search of rare coins. We lived with her for a few years while we growing up  and she did everything for us! 

Over the last couple of years, I've watched my grandmother who was full of life and love for her family become a shell of a person that she once was. She'd be overwhelmed with joy to know that another set of twins will be joining our family this year and that Ashley is living in one of her favorite places, Australia. It just breaks my heart that Alzheimer's disease took so much away from her so soon.


I'm running in the TCS New York City Marathon to honor my wonderful grandmother and help reclaim the future for millions including myself and other members of my family. By joining the team, I'm committed to raising awareness and funds for Alzheimer research, care and support. Let's move forward and make some noise about this horrific disease that currently affects 5 million Americans."

No comments:

Post a Comment