Saturday, July 25, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Meghann McKale

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Meghann McKale
When I first moved to New York, my grandmother was already in the late stages of Alzheimer’s Disease. I wanted to do something in her honor and I was lucky enough to find the Junior Committee, an amazing group of young people dedicated to raising funds and awareness in the fight against Alzheimer’s. As time passed I became more involved in the group, and in 2006 I was elected President. Each year we applied to be an official Marathon charity and each year we were denied – until now! This is such an exciting moment for our organization so it is an honor for me to be a runner on our team. It’s not a pleasure, because I don’t like running at all! But I’m doing it because Alzheimer’s disease is such a nightmare and we need to do anything and everything to eradicate it. My grandmother passed away in 2007, but now my grandfather is suffering from Vascular Dementia. I don’t want my mom to have to go through this too. That’s why I’m running. You can read more about my trials and tribulations as an inexperienced running training for the Marathon at http://www.racingtoremember.wordpress.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment