Monday, July 27, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: David Geithner

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

Spotlight: David Geithner

I’m connected to Alzheimer’s through my father-in-law who has had the disease for the past ten years (and started exhibiting symptoms in his mid-60’s). That’s the reason I joined the Alzheimer’s NYC board.

I’m running the marathon in his name to continue to raise awareness of the disease among my peer group. Everyone knows he has Alzheimer’s, but since he is in a home and his condition is relatively stable (managed decline), it’s easy to forget about it. So, I’m doing this as a reminder of how it affects our lives on a daily basis.

Why a marathon and not just Memory Walk or some other initiative? I’ve been doing triathlons that past few years, but have always wanted to do a marathon. Thought this would be a good way of marrying that goal with my work on behalf of Alzheimer’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment