Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spotlight: Hilary Thompson


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


me and my mom 
My journey with Alzheimer's began when my mother was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's at the age of 55.  Being only 19 years old, I had no idea what this meant and what the next 11 years would mean to me as well.  Needless to say, I would not wish what my family went through on my worst enemy and I have a deep respect for any family that finds themselves dealing with this terrible disease. 

Through the 11 years that my mother lived with Alzheimer's, I learned many things about myself and my family.  We learnt to be patient.  We learnt to be tolerant.  And above all, we learned to lean on one another for support.  As a young woman I turned to my mother for everything, like advice, moral support, a hug, and most importantly unconditional love.  As this terrible disease progressed, I found myself turning to my father and sister and together we found out how truly strong the 3 of us really were.

At the great wall half
Unfortunately, my young mother lost her battle with Alzheimer's this past April 22nd, 2012 at the very young age of 68.  I was lucky to spend her last birthday with her and also be by her side when she past away.  Never in my life did I think I would go through this process 2 months after my 30th birthday.  I would have done anything for her to see me walk down the aisle and have my first child but I suppose life works in strange ways....

My journey is now taking me in a new direction.  My older sister Rachael Bachleda has been involved in the Alzheimer's Association for 4 years now and is the most inspiring person in my life.  She has made me want to get involved just like her and this is what has lead me to the New York City Marathon and to joining the team.  I began running only last year and have now completed the Hong Kong and Great Wall of China half marathons.  My fiance and I live in Hong Kong so I will not be present at many of the training runs which is such a shame as I would love to be more involved.  I will openly admit that I am very nervous about my first full marathon but very excited.  I am honored to be running along such dedicated runners and along side people who are dedicated to helping the Alzheimer's cause.  Although I am not a runner, I have been a professional dancer for over 12 years and am very dedicated to fitness and health.  I do hope this helps me get to the finish line!! 

I am honored to be running on the Alzheimer's Team and I cannot wait for November.  

No comments:

Post a Comment