Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Spotlight: Bert Quarfordt

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's ING New York City Marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on the highlighted members. This is a great way to get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random).

Bert, 3 years old with his mother, Sonja


On Sunday, November 7, 2010 I will embark on what I consider to be one of the most exciting and most memorable endeavors of my life. I will run a marathon in New York City, one of the greatest cities in the world, with my brother.

I am running in memory of my mother and my grandfather, who both passed away from complications from Alzheimer’s disease. I want my marathon run to be for a valuable cause and to have a positive impact on others. I am honored to have the opportunity to run this marathon as a member of Team Run to Remember (R2R), representing the New York City Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association. The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to finding a cure for people affected by this disease.

The memory of my mother, Sonja Quarfordt, and my grandfather, Gustav Benson, will be my driving force to keep me going in preparing for and running this race. I have set a personal goal of raising contributions to the Alzheimer’s Association as part of my commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment