Thursday, October 8, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Jeffrey LeBlanc

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Jeffrey LeBlanc

In 2007, my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Watching her degeneration has been sad and frustrating, but she's a strong and amazing woman at the age of 94. You can see that she is suffering, but trying to fight it inside.

When I was younger, I fondly remember my grandma taking me to McDonald's for playtime and burgers. It's funny, but sometimes it's the ordinary moments in life that are most memorable. She is sweet, loving and thoughtful and always looked out for me.

Fortunately, my parents are still able to spend quality time with her in Florida. She still enjoys getting her hair and nails done and my dad's walks with her around a local lake. I only get to see her now when I visit with my parents, but it's always a joy. Her strength is an inspiration to me.

I am coaching this team and running this race in honor of my grandma and in memory of my wife's grandmother. It's time to put an end to this nasty disease once and for all. It's time to run to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment