Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Spotlight: Judith Ormond

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


My dad died at age 91 in May 2012 after eight years of struggling with Alzheimer’s.  He and my mom had an incredibly warm and loving marriage.  With each new development of the disease, my mom had trouble accepting the latest loss of skills.  He stopped driving long after he should have.  She bought him an ID bracelet long after he wandered off.  She hired care givers long after there were too many calls to the police to help pick him up after a fall.   In the end, he died peacefully at home with most of the family surrounding him.

He was a violist with the Cleveland Orchestra for more than 40 years, vehemently resisting retirement.  I think he was 77 when he retired.   His love of music was always foremost in his persona.  Music was part of our family language. He and my mom met in England during WWII where she was a refuge from Czechoslovakia and he was playing clarinet in a dance band.  

I, myself, became a musician.  I retired from my position as piccolo player with the Milwaukee Symphony, a year ago.  Running, for me, has been the greatest stress reliever.  I have done several marathons, but no marathon would be more meaningful to me, than doing this one in memory of my dad.  Although I have to have injections in both knees due to cartilage loss, and sporting a few years too many, I will mentally sing a little Mozart or Mendelssohn as I jog/walk through 26.2 miles for Ed Ormond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment